Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring has sprung and its time to get moving...


IT'S SPRING TIME IN TEXAS BABY!!!!  Bluebonnets are blooming and plants are coming to life.  The air is most definitely getting warmer and excuses are melting away like winter snows.  Not that I ever get any snow this far south in Texas.

I saw this on a training ride yesterday.  A ride, by the way, that I set a new best for average speed over any kind of significant distance.  I had just passed through the corner pictured above and was reminded of some of the shots I see while watching the Tour de France.  It was too good to pass up so I stopped to smell the roses so to speak.  Parked my bike and took a picture.

Too often these days I take things like this for granted.  Thanks to a re-dedication in training I've had a lot more opportunities to enjoy what is out there.  The wildflowers blooming and their fragrant smells, the sound of frogs chirping or a babbling brook, a hawk in the wind on the hunt, or even the silence of the early mornings broken only by the rhythm of footfalls and breathing.

Time to start taking advantage of the great weather with early morning runs, and afternoon rides.  Before you know it swimming pools will be warm enough and even some open water swims.  It's a small window to enjoy because soon summer will be set upon me and my enjoyment of the weather will decrease exponentially.  Oppressive south Texas summers are on the way boys and girls.  Good for race preparation but terrible while you're actually training.  So get out there, and do it quickly because springs in Texas don't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment