Monday, March 19, 2012

A break in training with a little R&R




Took a break from life this weekend and it was very much needed.  Every year some old college friends of mine all get together for some camping, mischief, revelry, and "reliving" of our youth.  Its an annual event that I've enjoyed but haven't always been able to participate in.

It was also a chance for me to take a break form the tedium of training.  I took my running shoes with me just in case.  On Saturday morning I looked at them with loathing disdain through bloodshot eyes and determined that this weekend would be one of rest.

This weekend is one like everyone should have at least once a year.  Good friends from long ago gather round fires and enjoy one another's company.  Stories are retold and we end up laughing just as hard today as we did on those nights that it happened.  Guitars are played and songs sung in the same old off key manner with which we have always attacked them.  Washers are thrown, dominoes are laid (strictly 42, not chicken foot or block dominoes), and copious amounts of adult beverages are imbibed, along with some other "unhealthy" vices.

Though it may not be the best training regimen around for the legs or lungs I view it as a vital part of recovery.  Restoration of the soul and/or spirit.  It actually served to solidify my committment to continue on this path I am following.  Many of my friends commented on how much better I looked (as if that was possible).  Several others who keep up with my facebook page have read up on my recent exploits and were asking about them.  Others who also participate in various endurance competitions asked if I would be interested in participating in some relay/team events.  So all in all I viewed this as a positive addition to my training.

Basically the point of this post is to serve as a reminder to me and others like me (who are in this for the health benefits and aren't looking to be uber-competitive) there is something else out there to be had besides training.  From time to time your training fire may need stoking, or you may need some time to let your batteries recharge.  In my case this little camping trip was just what I needed.  As a follow up I had little trouble rolling out of bed this morning to attack another training run, especially knowing my friends may be calling me up soon to help them out in a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment